SYRACUSE – The parents charged Friday in the June death of their 12-year-old son were reportedly under the influence of methamphetamine at the time the boy died, according to county records.
Candy Sue Chamness, 33, and Darrick W. Spore, 34, both of 202 W. Washington St., Syracuse, were arrested around 5:30 p.m. Friday following an investigation into the June 28 death of their son, Skyler Spore. Skyler had been pronounced dead at the scene by Syracuse police and EMT, who responded on a call that he was not breathing.
Chamness and Darrick Spore were home at the time of his death, along with another child. Two gas-powered generators were reported to be running inside the home when Skyler died.
While responding to the initial 911 call, dispatch received another 911 call requesting a welfare check of the children at Chamness and Spore’s residence, according to an affadavit filed by the Kosciusko County Prosecutor’s Office. The caller said the two were manufacturing meth, located inside a bedroom of the home, and had two generators running inside the residence.
The boy was lying on the floor of the upstairs bedroom, having been deceased for several hours, when law enforcement officers and EMS arrived at the residence.
The affidavit stated the residence was full of carbon monoxide fumes and the fire department cleared the residence and began ventilation.
Officers also discovered electricity had been disconnected from the residence the previous day, and the generators had been activated and placed in the basement and a porch area for electricity.
After an investigation, officers found that on June 27 and 28, Chamness, Spore and other individuals had ingested meth and marijuana before and during the use of the generators while Chamness and Spore’s children were inside the residence. Officers found that both Chamness and Spore were under the influence of methamphetamine at the time of their son’s death.
An autopsy was conducted at the Northeast Forensic Center in Fort Wayne. The coroner’s verdict and death certificate reflect carbon monoxide poisoning as the boy’s cause of death.
Chamness and Spore were both charged with neglect of  a dependent and reckless homicide and were booked in the Kosciusko County Jail on $150,000 bond  each.