10 Years Ago
Troy Turley, a Center Lake resident, read the Times-Union article on the invasive plant, Purple Loosestrife, in the lake. He and his children, Audrey, 3, and Lewis, 1, picked a wheelbarrow-full from the inner northern shore accompanied by their dog, Kanga.
Hazel Haig will celebrate her 100th birthday Aug. 14 with family and friends. She was born in Louisa, Ky. Haig enjoyed being a Sunday School teacher, Scout leader and, during the war, a Red Cross nurses aide. She is a resident of Miller’s Merry Manor.
25 Years Ago
Jim Bates Jr. has been collecting antique farm equipment for 10 years, some of which is owned with his father, Jim Sr. It includes 18 tractors from the ’30s, ’40s and ’50s. Bates says his grandfathers sparked his interest in threshing machines. He and some friends organized an antique tractor and engine show to be held on his farm three miles south of Bourbon on Ind. 331 Aug. 19 and 20. A 1923 wooden Aultman-Taylor New Century threshing machine owned by Loren Gochenour will be exhibited and used. Lyal Harman and Dallas Anglin are providing early steam engines. Ernie Weissert has a rare Jeep used by the U.S. Navy in World War II. Norm Steinman has a number of Allis Chalmers tractors and early Wheel Horse and Cub Cadet tractors.
50 Years Ago
Vicki Silveus, Queen of this 48th annual Kosciusko County Fair, is the Times-Union Calendar Girl for August. Vicki was elected last year’s fair queen and will reign until the new queen is crowned Saturday. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.C. “Mac” Silveus, 903 S. Buffalo St. She donned a Mizpah hat to depict the Shriners who have parked thousands of cars at the fair for the last 10 years.
Warsaw Chief of Police Eugene Brumfield outlined a traffic control plan that will be used at the entrance to the county fairgrounds. The big change from the past will be that only one-way traffic will be permitted on East Smith Street in some sectors. The new plan will remove congestion and permit entrance and exit from the fairgrounds at a safe and speedy manner.
75 Years Ago
“Skinny” Mayfield left Warsaw in 1909 to live in Elkhart. His brother, Mont, still lives here. He was property man for many years for the late C.A. Rigdon in Warsaw’s old opera house. He was delighted to visit his hometown and friends, C.O. Gerard, Bob Breading, Ed B. Smith, Al Gerard, Gordon Rutter and Ben Phillipson.
Capt. Thearl Essig is coming back to his home town to live after 23 years service in the U.S. Army. His Center Lake playmates nicknamed him “Johnny Wise.”
Isobel Rarick, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rarick, 112 N.  Washington St., attended Manchester College this last year. She was valedictorian of her class at Warsaw High School in 1938.