10 Years Ago
The colonial revival style two-story house at 823 E. Center St. was built in 1925 for attorney Allen Widaman. Dr. Hillary bought the 11-room house in 1956. Jerry Lessig, as a youngster, lived across the street and always admired the house. He became Warsaw’s civil engineer and bought the Walter Gable-built house in 1964. Current owners are Sharon Dinkel, Lessig’s daughter, and her husband Roger. The home is on the Kosciusko Historic Properties Tour.
Renovation of the Thomas Marshall Town Life Center in North Manchester was begun Aug. 17 with workers from Atlas Construction in Wabash. The former schoolhouse was built in 1929, with the addition of a gym in 1968.
25 Years Ago
Cousin Clem: “Kathryn Wolford recalls that her husband, Leonard, secured the contract for the electric work for the lighting so that night racing could be done at the race track in 1945. Leonard had worked for E.W. Parker Electric Store;  Parker offered to sell his business, which became Wolford Electric Sales and Equipment. Kathryn helped in the operation of the store.
 David G. Colgan has been pastor of the Winona Lake Free Methodist Church for four years but he and his family will be moving to the Indianapolis area Aug. 21.
50 Years Ago
 Winners of the first annual junior tournament at the South Shore Golf Course, Syracuse, were John Auer, Patricia Conn, Paul Stoelting, Debbie Stahley, Steve Runge and Chris Longnecker.
Bicycle winners were Greg Hoyt, 4, and Dee Ann Speicher, 8, Warsaw; Lu Ann Anglin, 11, Etna Green. Dee Ann was so happy, she shed a few tears.
Lt. Robert Robinson, Sgt. Harold Bryan, Capt. Robert Rhoades and other members of Company L, the local National Guard unit, departed for Camp Grayling, Mich., Aug. 8, where they will spend two weeks in field training.
Mrs. Ralph “Junior” Evans, Warsaw, announced that the 49th Evans family reunion will be Aug. 23 at the Girl Scout Cabin, Warsaw. Those who brought homemade ice cream last year are requested to bring it again.
75 Years Ago
Carrie Weiss Heiny recalls her graduation 31 years ago May 28 in the old Warsaw opera house. An electrical storm put all the lights in Warsaw out and the old gas jets in the opera house were so corroded and worn out that the gas could not be turned on. People brought oil lamps, lanterns and candles. Professor Early, superintendent, gave out diplomas by aid of candlelight. Valedictorian Donna Kelley may have saved a panic for she was speaking when the lights flashed out and she never missed a word.
Veterans of Mexican Border service of 1916 annual convention will be held at the Washington Hotel, Indianapolis, June 17 to 18. Col. R. Hitchcock is in charge of the affair. Major Carl Beyer, comrades George Gill and Harry Franks are organizing a group to make the trip to represent Warsaw at the gathering.